I recently posted my final report for my university honours project titled – ‘Improved Network Map Display’.
I have made the source code of NetMapJs freely available on github.
The main features of NetMapJs are:
- Support for subnetwork hierarchy
- Separate layout algorithm support for different subnetworks
- Rich display of bandwidth data in graph edges
- Automatic poller to update performance data
- Semantic zooming which adds more detail to the map as the user zooms in
- Responsive zooming and panning to navigate through the network map
- Support for adding overlays such as VLANs
- Multi-nested interactive overview map to help maintain control when zooming
NetMapJs makes use of the JIT library for a solid information visualisation framework and Arbor.js for the Force Directed (spring) layout type.
The tool is close to being ready for use in actual networks or a NMSs. Feel free to fork the repository and try it with your network.